lwip-users

[lwip-users] Failed to send large files ( > 65 kB ) over TCP

From: Richner Simon
Subject: [lwip-users] Failed to send large files ( > 65 kB ) over TCP
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 17:17:35 +0200

Hi,

I'm using LwIP 1.3.2 without OS. My driver is based on the Altera TSE example, posted on the LwIP Wiki driver page. This example includes a minimal HTTP server which I use as basis and which works without problems.

Then I replaced the gif-image, located on the server example, by a larger image (130kB). As far as I understand, the send_data function in httpd.c should handle this situation, splitting the pictures in several segments, matching the actual free size of the tcp_sendbuf. After sending part of the image, the http_sent function should then continue to send the rest of the image.

As I already mentioned, with images, having less than 65'536 bytes, this works as I would expect. With larger images, I get a Connection RESET merssage from the tcp_process function in tcp_in.c rigth after the first segment was sent. This will immediately free all pbufs, belonging to the pcb_sndqueue - including those that have not been sent yet.

My questions:

- Is there a size limit in tcp_write, other than the one, given by tcp_sndbuf(pcb)?  If yes, can I change it, what are the consequences?
- Is it normal to get reset requests from the client, when using the Altera TSE example driver? What situation would cause a client to send a reset request?

Best Regards
Simon