lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users]Hostname for DHCP - where is it specified?

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users]Hostname for DHCP - where is it specified?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:49:52 +0200

Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 14:32 +0000, Bob Brusa wrote:
>> Fine, adding netbios helped. Now I can get into contact with my
>> board,
>> running a corresponding program on my PC that uses the NETBIOSNAME
>> connect. However, Zyxel still does not know the name of my board -
>> which
>> obiously allows my Win-XP program to connect with my board. Has
>> anybody a
>> hint what is missing?
>
> If you want a more general solution than netbios naming you need to
> update your DNS server with the IP address and name that have been given
> to your board.  DHCP doesn't do this - it is just responsible for giving
> the IP address to the board, not for updating the DNS server.
Well, DHCP does support for the client to report a name to the server, but the
server must be specially configured to pass this on to a DNS server. It could
very well be that your router supports this, but as Kieran said, this is not
really a part of DHCP.

However, to test this, you can enable passing on a name by setting
LWIP_NETIF_HOSTNAME to 1 and setting the name via netif_set_hostname().

Simon