lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Help on porting LWIP

From: Pettinato, Jim
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] Help on porting LWIP
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:43:46 -0400

Hello André,

Out of curiosity, which eval board are you working with? The BeagleBoard or
Gumstix Overo perhaps? These are interesting platforms for many applications.

The OMAP line of processors is pretty advanced - I wouldn't relish writing code
for an OMAP-based platform without starting with a known good board support
package - and ideally with a full OS (such as the Angstrom Linux distribution
used with the above boards).

Yes, you could probably port lwIP to the device, and yes, you could probably
strip out any embedded OS and use lwIP's raw interface to provide the network
connection - but it is going to be quite a bit of work. Especially since the
network interfaces on the eval board(s) I mentioned above work out of the box.

I guess I'm curious as to why you would want to essentially 'downgrade' such a
platform (which is essentially a Linux computer in a tiny form factor) to a
polled application with a network interface? Is this for a class assignment or
something? If you are targeting a specific application, you might be better off
using the standard Linux stack.

There is a generic Unix port of lwIP maintained on the Savannah if you are
using one of the above platforms - that might help get you started with lwIP.

Good luck with your project!

- Jim