lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] another reentrancy question

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] another reentrancy question
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:56:09 +0100

 "shogun" <address@hidden> wrote

> If you are running lwip without an OS, I am not clear on how this can be
> prevented if it is a problem.  If the main application can send data via a
> socket

That cannot happen: our sockets need an OS, so you won't have sockets running
without an OS.

> any time and the remote system on the other side can send data any
> time, if one side is sending and the other side also sends some data can
> this cause a reentrancy issue?  The send from the system running lwip is
> from the main loop but when the lwip system receives data isn't that context
> of receive in an interrupt handler?

Well spotted. Therefore, your driver must not call lwIP's input functions but
put the RX packet on a list which is polled from the main loop.

>  In other words, do I have to be
> concerned about sending data from the lwip system and having the remote
> system also send data?

No. The Bly thing you have to be concerned about is whether your drive is
implemented correctly.

Simon