lwip-users

[lwip-users] Advice on API for this application

From: shogun
Subject: [lwip-users] Advice on API for this application
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 21:07:12 -0500

I have a general question about choosing the correct API to use for lwip.
Is the RAW API typically used without an OS and the netcomm and  BSD API
typically used with an RTOS?  I know there are probably many ways to make
something work and I'm not looking to make more work than needed but I am
not sure what would the best option is in this case.  I have been using the
RAW API without an OS and I was thinking I could continue to use the RAW API
with an OS and just have the RAW API callbacks send queue messages to a
single task I will create ("TCPIP_TASK" to give it a name) and have only the
TCPIP_TASK thread access lwip stack.  I see that if NO_SYS is not set, lwip
will create two threads.  Are these threads created by lwip to be used in
the BSD or netcomm API?

The application this will be on is a Stellaris CPU from TI and I plan to use
the built in OS SafeRTOS. I only need to implement two connections
"listeners" on two different ports.  Speed is not a big concern but keeping
message latency low is a high priority.  Also, I seem to have plenty of
flash memory but limited RAM (96K total RAM).

Any advice?

Thanks again for all your help,
DB