lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip with & without OS (need help & advice)

From: sanjib das
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip with & without OS (need help & advice)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:52:34 +0530

thanks a lot Kieran.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> wrote:

On 20 Apr 2011, at 17:04, sanjib das wrote:

> lwip with OS (say Linux):
> -- does it mean lwip stack will be initialized as part of Linux kernel?

No.

> -- in that case does the Linux kernel bypasses its own TCP/IP stack?

No.

> -- If lwip is not initialized as part of linux kernel, then can we run it as user space process?

Yes!  This is the normal way it is used with Linux.  When running with an OS on a microcontroller though it may well be the only stack, and not really be the same as a user-level stack within a process as is done in the Linux (actually unix) port

> lwip without OS:
> -- does it mean lwip can be ported solely as an OS in a micro-controller chip?

Not quite sure what you mean here, but lwIP can operate on a micro-controller without an operating system providing things like threads, etc.  lwIP isn't the OS in this case, there just isn't one.

> Can we port it with Linux (either as kernel or user space module)?

Yes, although you don't need to because this port has already been done.  See the contrib/ports/unix directory.

> Is there any document
> on how to port with linux?

No, but see the above example.

Kieran