lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] PPP driver from lwIP

From: docscott
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] PPP driver from lwIP
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 08:11:56 +0200

Test
--- Ursprüngl. Mitteilung ---
Von:narke
Gesendet: 06.05.2011, 08:25
To: Mailing list for lwIP users
Betreff:Re: [lwip-users] PPP driver from lwIP

After I check the sio.h and the lwIP's code, now, I think I begin to
understand that why the old device of our company was not using the
PPP implementation from lwIP.    PPP is using block sio interface,
right?  I've mentioned that our device does not come with an OS, so
there is not way to implement a block style sio service, such as
sio_read().

Am I understanding right?

On 5 May 2011 21:30, Yoav Nissim <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Narke,
>
> See my inlined replies.
>

> On 5/5/2011 15:12, narke wrote:
>
>> Hi Yoav,
>>
>> Thanks for the answer,  I put some comment inside your replies.
>> Please have a look at them.
>>

>> On 5 May 2011 19:33, Yoav Nissim <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have used lwIP's PPP but am not sure what you mean by "PPP driver from
>>> lwIP".
>> I will be using PPP over serial, and the serial line is connected to a
>> GPRS modem.  I am in a NO_SYS environment, i.e., embedded system
>> without OS.
> If your embedded system is not covered in the contrib module, you will
> have to implement the serial IO interfaces (sio_open, sio_close,
> sio_write, sio_read, etc..)
>>> Do you need to use PPP-over-serial or PPP-over-Ethernet?
>>>

>>> I used PPPoS for which I had to:
>>>
>>> 1. implement the serial IO interface defined in sio.h (see reference
>>> implementations in contrib module)
>>>
>>> 2. use the PPP APIs defined in ppp.h to establish, manage, and terminate
>>> a PPP link.
>> Beside the PPP APIs, do you actually use the implementaion (.c files
>> in netif/ppp directory)?
> I think I see what you meant by "lwIP PPP driver" - the location of the
> ppp directory is somewhat confusing.
> As opposed to the other files under the netif directory, the files under
> netif/ppp are not a sample or a skeleton.
> They _are_ the PPP client and API implementation (based on pppd code).
> This means they all have to be compiled into lwIP for you to be able to
> use PPP and its APIs (unless of course you decide to implement/import
> your own PPP engine - which I recommend against...).
>>>
>>> Take into consideration that:
>>>
>>> 1. as of lwIP 1.4.0 rc1, the APIs in ppp.h are not protected, i.e they
>>> should be called from the tcpip thread context.
>> I think this only matters for NO_SYS == false case. right?
> I believe so, although I cannot be absolutely certain.
>>> 2. IMO, not all the APIs in ppp.h are actually public....
>> What does this mean?
> I mean that I am not sure that all the functions defined in ppp.h should
> actually be called by someone looking to use PPP.
> I only use pppInit, pppOverSerialOpen, pppHup, pppClose and possibly a
> couple of others.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Yoav.

    -- Schopenhauer