lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] contrib project documentation

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] contrib project documentation
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:41:28 +0100

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 09:34 +0300, Mehmet Ali Ekici wrote:

> I just wanted to know what are all those ports for. If they are
> funtional
> and how they can be built and relation to the lwip project.

lwIP is just a block of code that implements a network stack.  On its
own it can't be used.  It needs two things:
 1) Integration with the rest of the target system.  This is the port,
and includes things like tailoring how lwIP is invoked and how it
interfaces to the network driver.

 2) Integration with the application that wants to use lwIP.

How the port, application, and lwIP are built will depend on the system.
lwIP would normally get built along with the rest of whatever it is
being used with.

> There are some test ports also confusing me.  For instance can you
> describe
> shortly how to compile, run and test  unix port ?

If you look in contrib/ports/unix/proj there are 3 directories, each
with a separate way of using lwIP.

The first (lib) makes a library of lwIP, such that it can be linked to
another application.  This should allow, in simple cases, a sockets
application to use lwIP with relatively little modification.  To build
it use "make" in that directory.

The second (minimal) is an example of a application that has been
written to use lwIP and compiles lwIP into the application.  It is just
a simple echo server.  To build it, again just type "make" in that
directory.

The third (unixsim) is a larger project using lwIP.  There are some
brief details of how to use it the README file in that directory.

The unix port relies on using the tun/tap device to access the network.
This isn't specific to lwIP so you should be able to find some
documentation for how to use that online.

Kieran