lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DHCP, switch to static IP if no answer

From: Tim Lambrix
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DHCP, switch to static IP if no answer
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:09:06 +0000

I just wanted to mention that I was having DHCP issues with my lwIP product in getting an address from the server.  It turned out in the end that the latest Netgear switches were causing addresses from the DHCP server to be assigned up to 2 minutes! after attaching to the network.  The old switch was doling out IP’s in about 3-5 seconds.  I don’t know if Netgear has done anything to make the time better yet or if there is a standard time for DHCP to complete in.

Walter,

I used dhcp_start and then checked in a loop netif_is_up for a connection for 5 seconds.  If the 5 seconds ran out, I used dhcp_stop, netif_set_down, netif_set_addr, netif_set_up, and dhcp_inform to set a static IP address.  This worked well for me.  I guess the dhcp_inform isn’t needed but I used this same code if I was simply setting a static IP address in which case I wanted the DHCP server to know about this.

Bill