lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] FreeRTOS/lwIP Win32 simulator project now hosted

From: FreeRTOS Info
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] FreeRTOS/lwIP Win32 simulator project now hosted
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:13:21 +0100

Hi Simon,

On 21/07/2011 06:48, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

> FreeRTOS Info <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Eventually, when everything else is done, I would like to also
>> replace the static C structs with a 'standard' file system (reading
>> off an SD card or the like).
>
> That shouldn't be too hard, since the fs-code used by the httpd is
> already used to do that (or at least that's what TI meant it to, I
> didn't test it, yet).

Sorry - I seem to have missed that code.  Is it in the contrib zip file,
or somewhere else.  I could not see it.

To start with, as it is a Windows simulator, I will probably use a file
system to create a RAM driver, or, at least, access a RAM driver.

Something I didn't say in my original post is that the currently hosted
file (link in previous post) also contains a pre-built makefsdata.exe
binary, and an MSVC 2010 Express project to build it.

>> I would appreciate feedback on the following:
>>
>> 1) It was my intention to use FreeRTOS software timers to stimulate
>> the tcpip thread to process time outs (ARP timers,etc).  However,
>> it seems that lwIP V1.4.0 does not require any external help with
>> timers, so maybe forcing in FreeRTOS software timers is now
>> overkill.
>
> Yes, it is overkill. Also, I think it's a better example on how to
> use lwIP if you do use the timer framework lwIP provides.

Ok.  That is what I thought.  With uIP the software timers are a really
good fit, but lwIP 1.4.0 has it covered already.

>> 2) Part of the point of this exercise originally was to have a
>> worked example of using lwIP in a multi threaded environment, in
>> addition to the win32 contrib project which I used as a starting
>> point.  I don't think I am yet meeting that goal fully, as the http
>> server uses the raw API and is "just" a server.  I think adding in
>> a sockets based client application would be beneficial, then, to
>> show a client using the stack, full multithreading, and how to use
>> the sockets interface.  Does anybody have any suggestions on an
>> example sockets based client application that would be suitable for
>> this purpose?  Is the sockets example in the contrib directory
>> suitable?
>
> I don't really think so. It works, but it does nothing useful. It's
> rather there to show how it works and to test whether
> blocking/unblocking works, etc.
>
> However, the ping app in contrib has a socket mode, which could be
> quite useful.

I will take a look at its functionality.

>> 3) Likewise, a worked example that includes email, FTP, telnet,
>> etc along side the obligatory httpd would be very interesting and I
>> think useful for the community at large.
>
> Hmm, did you plan to just include some existing socket apps here, or
> use raw API apps?

That assumes I planned something!  I'm just routing around for ideas on
making the demo as useful as possible, while simultaneously not too
complex, and was really (although not explicitly) asking for opinions on
that myself.  What is already around that can be incorporated, be it raw
or sockets based.  As long as there is at least one sockets example then
that is covered.

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org