lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP core thread

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP core thread
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 16:05:23 +0100

"Lee, Botao" <address@hidden> wrote:
> In pretty much all the examples I found, a thread (say Thread IN) is
> created to service in-coming packages, either polling or getting notified by
> the
> network interface. But I never found this thread/ or another thread
> servicing out-going packages.
>
> Does this mean the application thread (Thread APP)is actually executing
> all the LWIP output functions?

No, outgoing packets are sent from the same thread that processes incoming
packets. Either they are sent as a direct reaction to incoming packets (i.e.
sent from the same call stack) or application threads can use tcpip_callback()
(or any other mechanism if you want to implement it on your own) to get into
the input-processing thread to send packets (or invoke any other
non-threading-protected lwip function).

Simon