lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Incoming packet bigger than PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE

From: Gary Spivey
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Incoming packet bigger than PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 18:51:31 +0000

I have to admit it. I am now lost. Am I supposed to call pbuf_alloc with a number larger than PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE?

I implemented this by calling pbuf_alloc with a size larger than a PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE can hold. It allocated multiple pbufs and chained them together. However when I do this, DHCP no longer works. So, I bumped the TCP_MSS up to 636 rather than the default 536 (and bigger than the 594 I was receiving). This made it past DHCP, but didn’t echo packets (using the tcpecho contrib program).

As a side note, this is all with PBUF_LINK_HLEN set to 16. If I don’t set it (and let it default to 14 + ETH_PAD_SIZE) and then set ETH_PAD_SIZE to 2, I am back to things not working (like DHCP).

What is the preferred way to configure lwip so that I can either accept packets larger than PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE or ensure that I don’t receive them? I would be more than willing to read whatever resources … and I have been scouring docs and the web … but any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Gary