lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] memp_memory and ram_heap

From: narke
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] memp_memory and ram_heap
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 21:17:20 +0800

On 5 January 2012 17:53, Simon Goldschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
> narke <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I found memp_memory and ram_heap are two most biggest ram variables in
>> my setup, they are now each 5.5k bytes around.  These two variables
>> are similar in size and their sizes changes when I change the MEM_SIZE
>> constant.
>>
>> I want to ask, is this normal?  And, what's the relationship between
>> these two variable?
>
> No, not normal. Normally, MEM_SIZE should only influence the heap (ram_heap),
> not the pools (memp_memory). ram_heap should be about the size of MEM_SIZE (a
> little more, say 16 bytes or so). memp_memory is made up of many
> configuration options (and depending on target pointer size, etc) and its
> size cannot be easily calculated.
>
> Simon

Thanks, Simon.  Now I see hope, otherwise, every amount of value I
increased on MEM_SIZE, I would got double the amount of bytes occupied
by ram_heap and memp_memory.  This was really depressing me.

Well, the problem is, what's wrong with my configuration.  Could you
have a look at my lwipoptions.h file? Or you can show me some possible
clues.

Below is the file.  And, thanks in advance.

--lwiooptions.h---

#ifndef __LWIPOPTS_H__
#define __LWIPOPTS_H__
#include "Cfg_Decl.h"

#define NO_SYS                          1
#define LWIP_SOCKET                     0
#define LWIP_NETCONN                    0

/* ---------- Memory options ---------- */
/* MEM_ALIGNMENT: should be set to the alignment of the CPU for which
   lwIP is compiled. 4 byte alignment -> define MEM_ALIGNMENT to 4, 2
   byte alignment -> define MEM_ALIGNMENT to 2. */

#define MEM_ALIGNMENT                   4

#include "LatDefs.h"
#include "LogStrHdr.h"
#ifdef __DEBUG_CHANNEL__
#define MEM_SIZE                        (1500 + PPP_FRAME_RX_BUF_SIZE
+ PPP_FRAME_TX_BUF_SIZE + LOG_STREAM_BUF_SIZE)
#else
#define MEM_SIZE                        (1500 + PPP_FRAME_RX_BUF_SIZE
+ PPP_FRAME_TX_BUF_SIZE)
#endif

#define MEMP_NUM_RAW_PCB                2

/* MEMP_NUM_PBUF: the number of memp struct pbufs. If the application
   sends a lot of data out of ROM (or other static memory), this
   should be set high. */
#define MEMP_NUM_PBUF                   2

/* MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB: the number of UDP protocol control blocks. One
   per active UDP "connection". */
#define MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB                1
/* MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB: the number of simulatenously active TCP
   connections. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB                4

/* MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN: the number of listening TCP
   connections. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN         1

/* MEMP_NUM_TCP_SEG: the number of simultaneously queued TCP
   segments. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_SEG                TCP_SND_QUEUELEN

/* MEMP_NUM_SYS_TIMEOUT: the number of simulateously active
   timeouts. */
#define MEMP_NUM_SYS_TIMEOUT            5

/* The following four are used only with the sequential API and can be
   set to 0 if the application only will use the raw API. */
/* MEMP_NUM_NETBUF: the number of struct netbufs. */
#define MEMP_NUM_NETBUF                 0

/* MEMP_NUM_NETCONN: the number of struct netconns. */
#define MEMP_NUM_NETCONN                0

/* ---------- Pbuf options ---------- */
/* PBUF_POOL_SIZE: the number of buffers in the pbuf pool. */
#define PBUF_POOL_SIZE                  8

/* ---------- ARP options ---------- */

/** Number of active hardware address, IP address pairs cached */
#define ARP_TABLE_SIZE                  3

/* ---------- IP options ---------- */

/** IP reassembly and segmentation. Even if they both deal with IP
 *  fragments, note that these are orthogonal, one dealing with incoming
 *  packets, the other with outgoing packets
 */

/** Reassemble incoming fragmented IP packets */
#define IP_REASSEMBLY                   0           /* TODO: clarify
this and prepare test cases (woody) */

/** Fragment outgoing IP packets if their size exceeds MTU */
#define IP_FRAG                         0

/* ---------- DHCP options ---------- */
#define LWIP_DHCP                       1 /* bbv roki */

/* 1 if you want to do an ARP check on the offered address
   (recommended). */
#define DHCP_DOES_ARP_CHECK             0

/* ---------- TCP options ---------- */
#define TCP_WND                         (2 * TCP_MSS)
#define TCP_SYNMAXRTX                   4

/* Controls if TCP should queue segments that arrive out of
   order. Define to 0 if your device is low on memory. */
#define TCP_QUEUE_OOSEQ                 0

/* TCP sender buffer space (bytes). */
#define TCP_SND_BUF                     (2 * TCP_MSS)

/* TCP sender buffer space (pbufs). This must be at least = 2 *
   TCP_SND_BUF/TCP_MSS for things to work. */
#define TCP_SND_QUEUELEN                (2 * TCP_SND_BUF/TCP_MSS)

#define LWIP_TCP_KEEPALIVE              1

/* ---------- PPP options ---------- */

#define PPP_SUPPORT                     1

#if PPP_SUPPORT

#define PAP_SUPPORT                     1
#define MD5_SUPPORT                     1       /* don't want to use
srand in standard library */
#define PPP_MAXIDLEFLAG                 1       /* I prefer PPP frame
flag is always sent */
/* #define LCP_ECHOINTERVAL                2 */

/*
 * type of log messages I have interests
 */

#ifdef __DEBUG__
#define LWIP_DEBUG
#define TCP_DEBUG                       LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TCP_RST_DEBUG                   LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TCP_INPUT_DEBUG                 LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TCP_OUTPUT_DEBUG                LWIP_DBG_ON
#define PPP_DEBUG                       LWIP_DBG_ON
#define NETIF_DEBUG                     LWIP_DBG_ON
#define MEMP_DEBUG                      LWIP_DBG_ON
#define MEM_DEBUG                       LWIP_DBG_ON
#if 0
#define TCP_RTO_DEBUG                   LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TCPIP_DEBUG                     LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TCP_CWND_DEBUG                  LWIP_DGB_ON
#define PBUF_DEBUG                      LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TCP_CWND_DEBUG                  LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TCP_WND_DEBUG                   LWIP_DBG_ON
#define SYS_DEBUG                       LWIP_DBG_ON
#define TIMERS_DEBUG                    LWIP_DBG_ON
#endif
#endif /* __DEBUG__ */

#endif /* PPP_SUPPORT */

#endif /* __LWIPOPTS_H__ */