lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LCP Termination Request steps

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LCP Termination Request steps
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 03:13:27 +0200

Hi Simon,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:37:53PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> It's sad that this project seems to "die" though, given the fact
> that (at least in germany), PPPoE is still use pretty often in DSL
> routers, and many of them use linux.

Same here (in France), because operators allow others to use their *DSL
networks as a transport service, PPP is used along with Radius realms to
create a tunnel from the DSL subscriber to the tiny-operator L2TP LNS.

> > We can add the necessary compile-time conditions, this is pretty
> > easy to do, I am planning to do so with the previous compile-time
> > options used.
>
> Of course we "can", but this means a) effort and

"effort" part is done.

> b) giving up the initial hope of having zero changes against the
> original sources to let bugfixing be a simple matter of copying the
> fixed original sources. But then again, it seems like we can forget
> that :-/

Well, considering all the required changes just to remove the
POSIX/unix-dependencies, file system I/O, and so on, this is an
impossible goal to achieve.

And I am not talking about features I added which pppd does not support,
like having multiple PPP sessions running concurrently in the same
process, which require no global variables everywhere and passing a
context to all functions... while pppd use statically here and here the
element number 0 of the PPP interface table. I kid you not.

> In any case, your work is much appreciated!!

Thanks ;-)

Sylvain