lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Update LWIP 1.2.0 to 1.4.1

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Update LWIP 1.2.0 to 1.4.1
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 07:38:17 +0100

sb80 wrote:
> I have a NetX500 (Hilscher) µC with the OS rcX (Hilscher) with LWIP
> 1.2.0.
> Now I have made an update to 1.4.1.
> [..]
> My problem is that i can compile the complete sourcecode without compiler
> errors but the LWIP don't work.
> I can't make a ethernet connection with an other device.

Unfortunately, we don't have documents on how-to-upgrade between versions
(yet?).

However, I do know that from 1.2.0 to 1.3.0, ARP handling has been changed:
until 1.2.0, ARP packets were passed to etharp_input() from your
ethernetif_input function. Since that had threading issues, ARP packets now
must be passed to netif->input() AND the payload pointer must point to the ARP
header now, not the IP header.

When running with NO_SYS==1, you have to pass ethernet_input as input function
to netif_add() instead of ip_input. When using NO_SYS==0, you pass tcpip_input
as input function, which takes care of the correct handling.
Note that for this to work, you have to set NETIF_FLAG_ETHARP in your
netif->flags.

Also, when upgrading between versions, you can have a look at our example
ethernetif.c to see what's changed and if your driver is still correct.

Simon