lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Works with Win7, not Windows XP?

From: Niall Donovan
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Works with Win7, not Windows XP?
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 08:34:06 +0000

Hi,
  There is evidence that Windows 7 and 8 ignore the MSS value if it is less 576. I have TCP links working between my embedded app and both Windows XP and Windows 7. In my case XP was always working (TCP_MSS  = 1518) but when I moved to windows 7 I had tried TCP_MSS   256 to start and it ignored it and defaulted to MSS=576 (windows sent me 576 byte chunks, overflowing my pbufs). I now have TCP_MSS = 576 in my embedded system and it works for both Win XP and Win 7. You also need to ensure that you have allocated pbufs of the necessary size for this MSS to work.

Check out this link for more info: http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/9573/windows-7-ignores-tcp-mss

Regards
Niall.