lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Advice on wifi module

From: Nicolas Pinault
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Advice on wifi module
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:59:54 +0100

Hello,

Le 09/12/2013 16:33, Simon Koudijs | Intellifi a écrit :
Hello everyone,

I'm working a project that uses wired Ethernet, lwip is working pretty nice there!

Now we would like to start using wifi as well. We are now searching for a suitable and cheap wifi module that can be used on the ethernet level. Given the right drivers it should just operate as a second netif in lwip.

I would really like to know if anyone has already gone down this path, and could advice me on the kind of module that works for him/her. Perhaps an example with working drivers as well?
It depends on which hardware interface you need between your CPU and the radio module.
You can have a look at :
- ConnectBlue
- RedPine
- Silex America
And many others.

I contacted ConnectBlue many years ago for a project using a PowerPC CPU. ConnectBlue delivered support only for little endian CPUs. It might have change since then. At that time, I have chosen a RedPine module. I can't tell you if the module is ok. The project died before I work on this. I can only tell you that support is from India and this not easy to communicate with indian people. I am currently working on a project using a Silex module (wifi + bluetooth). The module is interesting. I have not written the driver (the OS used is QNX Neutrino on this project). There is no driver for lwip. I am not sure one can get the information to write the driver.

From my experience, I'll recommend RedPine today. Simple to setup (SPI link), quite well documented, not too expensive.

Regards,
Nicolas

Thanks in advance!