lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] TCP Checksum = 0xFFFF

From: Niall Donovan
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] TCP Checksum = 0xFFFF
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 16:08:52 +0100

To follow up on this issue. The offending piece of code that is generating the 0xFFFF as the TCP checksum is this (lines 1137-1147 in tcp_out.c):

    /* rebuild TCP header checksum (TCP header changes for retransmissions!) */
    acc = inet_chksum_pseudo_partial(seg->p, &(pcb->local_ip),
             &(pcb->remote_ip),
             IP_PROTO_TCP, seg->p->tot_len, TCPH_HDRLEN(seg->tcphdr) * 4);
    /* add payload checksum */
    if (seg->chksum_swapped) {
      seg->chksum = SWAP_BYTES_IN_WORD(seg->chksum);
      seg->chksum_swapped = 0;
    }
    acc += (u16_t)~(seg->chksum);
    seg->tcphdr->chksum = FOLD_U32T(acc);

If acc happens to have a value equal to seg->checksum, for example acc=0x8E93 & seg->checksum=0x8E93, (which can happen given the right set of values) one gets  acc += ~acc, which always results in 0xFFFF. The FOLD_U32T has nothing to do and the 0xFFFF is set as the seg->tcphdr->chksum. Which is wrong? Am in missing something?

Anyone able to enlighten me as why this isn't a coding error?

Shouldn't there be something to ensure 0xFFFF is converted to 0x0000?!

Thanks.
Niall.