lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] broken DHCP/ARP interaction

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] broken DHCP/ARP interaction
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:03:56 +0200

"Radouch, Zdenek" wrote:
> However, in this case the ARP does something that is outright wrong -- it
> answers an ARP query
> for an IP address that has not been assigned yet -- the DHCP client is still
> trying to
> ensure that it is OK to use the address (hence the ARP query). So the
> behavior is completely broken
> with respect to temporal dependencies.

I can't reproduce this, but I do think it would be a bug. However, Sergio is
right in that you should take cautions to not receive (loop-back) self-sent
packets. While it might not break things like you see (it does not, for me), it
can lead to other anomalties like receiving your own broadcast on broadcast
sockets or seeing a reply to a Gratuitizs ARP you send (so IPv4 AutoIP and IPv6
address selection won't work).

Simon