lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Sending to a non-local network without default netif se

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Sending to a non-local network without default netif set
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 20:32:27 +0100

HaaCee2 wrote:
I am not entirely familiar with the ideas behind LwIP. But sourcebased
routing is very much in line with rfc1122 (ip for hosts). I quote:

Under the Strong ES model, the route computation for an outgoing datagram
is the mapping:

                          route(src IP addr, dest IP addr, TOS) -> gateway

Here the source address is included as a parameter in order to select a
gateway that is directly reachable on the corresponding physical
interface. Note that this model logically requires that in general there
be at least one default gateway, and preferably multiple defaults, for
each IP source address.

Well, that excerpt is one of 2 possibilities in the RFC. The other possibility is to do like lwIP does. I admit though that it looks kind of strange sending packets with IP address A to the interface B just because you have a matching destination gateway on that netif...

By now, I'm tempted to add source-based routing as an option, although I expect people using lwIP wih more than one interface being only a small percentage...

Simon