lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Sending to a non-local network without default netif se

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Sending to a non-local network without default netif set
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 14:51:03 +0000 (GMT)

"we do have a setup with two netifs and we cannot determine what the customer will do with the device so we need to also check for „same subnet“ scenarios."

I would like to make a clear distinction between two possible "same subnet scenarios"

1) A multi-homed product is connected to the same logical network via two (or more) different links.  One example is a laptop connected to the same LAN via a wired Ethernet connection and a wireless connection.  This is a valid configuration and both links will have the same subnet of the LAN. Stacks like Windows support this and assign an interface metric to the out going interfaces.  The metric is used in picking an outgoing interface.

2) A multi-homed product is connected to two (or more) separate physical networks that have the same subnet.  The important differences is that the links are to different separate physical networks.  Since the subnets are the same, different networks can no longer be identified at the IP address abstraction level.  This can be considered an invalid network configuration since different IP networks are identified by their subnet/address range.

I'm all in favor of supporting 1) in LwIP as long as the implementation meets the "light-weight" requirements, but I'm not a fan of supporting 2).  This case is a huge pain because it permits invalid network configurations.  Not to mention, from the application layer you have to introduce some other identifier for addressing the different networks (can't use subnet). You end up having to forcing sockets onto the appropriate network with SO_BINDTODEVICE.  If we want LwIP to detect a case like 2) that would be fine, but then how to do you tell the difference between 1 & 2?

Joel