lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Can't process incoming UDP packets afteroneofhosts is p

From: Grzegorz Niemirowski
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Can't process incoming UDP packets afteroneofhosts is powered down
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 03:28:12 +0200

I've finally found the answer.

Powering a computer down causes its MAC<->port entry to expire on my switch. SYN packets sent by my device to that computer start to be visible by my router. It responds with ICMP packets (type 5 code 1) which causes allocations in NETBUF pool by lwip. Simple pinging my device resulted in NETBUF saturation as well. Why? Because I had RAW ICMP socket open which I have completely forgotten about. It was used for pinging. Data from that socket were read only when pinging other hosts was needed, which was very rarely. This way NETBUF pool, used also for UDP, was not freed up and blocked UDP processing.

Thank you all who answered in this thread.

Best regards,
Grzegorz Niemirowski
http://www.grzegorz.net/