lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] memory management

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] memory management
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:45:46 -0300

> It's much safer to integrate this with linker script (for example
> with attributes on gcc).  Casting number to pointer does not
> guarantee that other variable will no be placed in the same area (by
> linker or other Dev using such tricks). Happy debugging when it
> happens :)

Yes.
However, in this particular example, since by definition of external
memory there is no on-chip memory at that location, the linker will not
assign any variable to that memory space. As for other Devs... well,
let's say all developers know the external memory map...

Had that "double allocation" happening once when toying with fixed
addresses in internal memory though, don't remember what I was doing and
why I did that... Nice pointing that out anyway!

AFAIK there is no CMSIS way of assigning segments, is it ? (but that is
completely off-topic)