lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Patch to update from 1.4.0 to 1.4.x?

From: Enrico Murador - Research & Development - CET
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Patch to update from 1.4.0 to 1.4.x?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:20:35 +0200

Dear Sergio,

On 15/10/2015 00:03, Sergio R. Caprile wrote:
Well, I'm by no means even close to an expert, but afaik that certainly
depends on how you configure lwip.
PBUF_RAM is a single consecutive chunk of RAM for a pbuf, taken from the
heap.
PBUF_POOL is a pbuf which is itself a chain of pbufs, which are chunks
of RAM taken from the pool.

Allocation of a PBUF_RAM uses mem_malloc()
Allocation of a PBUF_POOL uses memp_malloc()

Depending on your configuration, memp_malloc() can be #define'd as
mem_malloc() (when MEMP_MEM_MALLOC is defined and != 0 )
You're right, I didn't remember that macro!

So... you'd better check their lwipopts.h

afaik, for a "common" use, the pool and the heap are separate pieces of
RAM and the phrase you highlighted is controversial, but since it
involves macros not belonging to lwip...
Just checked, they don't define any MEMP_MEM_MALLOC. So it's better I'll report this issue to them.

Thank you
Enrico