lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Consecutive calls to sendto() and recvfrom() functions

From: pekez
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Consecutive calls to sendto() and recvfrom() functions
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 14:32:57 +0100

Thanks Sergio for your advice. When it comes to layer-2 driver, it is a driver provided by Xilinx, so I guess that problem couldn't be there. I have no idea how to check driver itself and be sure that problem is not there (do you have any suggestion how I could do that?). As you said FreeRTOS port should be OK, I got it from Xilinx as well, and for hardware itself, that's something I should try to test better. All in all, since I don't have much experience, I would be grateful if you could give me more references about these stuff that is how to eliminate faulty variables in a proper way.

On 28.10.2016 19:35, Sergio R. Caprile wrote:
> Sergio, can you just explain what you mean by third sentence, how can > I check all those things (port, driver) and what is known-to-work app?

lwIP is not and end-user full contained product, it starts at layer-3 (IP) and runs on some hardware, it has been ported to that hardware. Your layer-2 driver might just be discarding/losing frames, for example; or your hardware might be doing that. A known-to-work application is an application that is known to work ;^), that is, it is not something you are writing yourself while you learn how to use lwIP but something that has been proved OK. For example, the examples in the contrib tree. Since your hardware can be faulty, your driver can be faulty, your port can be faulty, and your application can be faulty, you have to eliminate variables (faulty stuff), so if one of the examples do not work for you, either your hardware, your port or your driver (sometimes both...) are the culprit. Most of the times, your driver can be checked alone, and your port can sometimes be checked for doing things the proper way, that is, only calling low-level functions from within a single thread; sockets and netconns can be called each one from its thread. RTOS ports (NO_SYS=0) use some semaphores, you can search the list for a priority problem, I bet the FreeRTOS port is running OK, but depends on where you get it from...
You should also read the wiki... http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/LwIP_Wiki