lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Question regarding mdns responder

From: Erik Ekman
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Question regarding mdns responder
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:44:47 +0100

On 21 March 2017 at 15:10, Joel Cunningham <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mar 21, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Dirk Ziegelmeier <address@hidden> wrote:

The problem is that you have two hosts with the same name "BGW" (= "BGW.local" MDNS name) in the same network. They should have different names.

Is this a known limitation of LwIP’s mDNS implementation?  I haven’t done an audit, but from my experience with mDNS, the “Probing” step of claiming records should ensure the hostname is unique. See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762#section-8

I've worked with Apple’s mDNSResponder and if two devices have the same hostname, the one that detects the collision ends up adding “(2)" the hostname to make it unique.

Yes, a standards-compliant responder should solve this. I wrote the code, and did not get far enough before the project needing it got shelved and I switched to other things.
I have since left that company so anyone who wants to improve the code is very welcome, I can help if there are any questions.

/Erik