lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP in mainline linux kernel

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP in mainline linux kernel
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 09:03:58 -0600

I haven't heard of LwIP running in the Linux kernel, but LwIP has been integrated into a number of other operating systems:

ReactOS

GNU Hurd

Minix 3

I haven't studied the ReactOS integration, but GNU Hurd/Minix 3 happened more recently and their respective developers communicated on the mailing list how LwIP was integrated :). Both are micro kernels and the integration point with LwIP is different.  GNU Hurd integrated at the sockets level where as Minix 3, integrated at the callback API level (providing their own socket interface).

I would imagine for Linux, you'd do something similar, integrating LwIP's callback API level to the kernel side sockets layer.  At the bottom end, you could possibly do something like map LwIP's netif to a netdev so you can use the existing Linux drivers.

Joel