lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] dns: remember multiple IP addresses patch

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] dns: remember multiple IP addresses patch
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:28:40 +0100

On 21.02.2018 20:22, Jan Menzel wrote:
If you want your client application to load-balance although the locally
cached DNS entry has expired, I think a better approach would be to
actually return all available IPs to the client and let it chose one
(i.e. implement the random algorithm in your application). That way,
'gethostbyname' etc. could return all entries as well.

Yes, this would be an option. I rejected this approach because it breaks
the api.

Yes, that's why it hasn't been changed, yet. Maybe we could add an additional function that returns all cached addresses from the local cache array...  This might be sped up by passing in the ip_addr_t pointer form the 'found' callback, which could be used to calculate back the entry index.

Simon