lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DHCP problems

From: Trampas Stern
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DHCP problems
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 07:21:46 -0500

How should I be using the 'lwip_cyclic_timers' ?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 2:36 PM address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 14.02.2020 um 19:53 schrieb Trampas Stern:
> OK walking through the code it appears somewhere along the way the ACD
> module was added and it looks like it needs to have it's
> timer periodically called.
>
> I added it to the timer list and seem to work now.  I would have figured
> that the ACD timer would have been called from the DHCP timer for
> backwards compatibility. I assume this was done for a good reason.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Yes, there *is* a reason: ACD has been
implemented in a bad way before inside dhcp.c plus it can now be used
without DHCP enabled, and its interval is 100ms, not 500ms like dhcp.

However, calling all those timer functions yourself is not what you
should be doing. We need to be free in adding timers to change/fix
things like this.

Even when not using the automatic timer handling provided by lwIP, you
should use the list of timers (and corresponding intervals) provided as
'lwip_cyclic_timers' array by timeouts.h.

Regards,
Simon