lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Are sys_arch_protect/unprotect required to nest?

From: Ajay Bhargav
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Are sys_arch_protect/unprotect required to nest?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 21:50:57 +0530

protect/unprotect is totally implementation dependent with only intention of providing exclusive access to network related operation to be performed without any context switching. You can do this by using a mutext in simplest way but you have to make sure ISR do not do any operation either when system is locked, this can be implemented with a complex implementation but still possible. I have dealt with such system in past where critical section APIs were not possible to use and only possible option was to use a mutex.

lev may or may not be used which again depends on your implementation.

For your RTOS where nested critical section is not possible, you can maintain a global variable (maybe) protected by mutex along with critical section API which gets incremented with every call to protect, So only when global counter is 1 you call enter_critical and with every nested call that counter gets incremented and no further call to enter_ciritcal. On the other hand when unprotect is called counter is decremented and when it's 0 exit_critical is called. Now you can see in this case lev is kind of unused or not required at all.

Disabling of context switch is the only requirement of lwip when it comes to protect/unprotect. Implementation is upon the programmer depending on system.

Regards,
Ajay Bhargav

On 2021-11-15, Ajay Bhargav via lwip-users <lwip-users@nongnu.org> wrote:

> sys_arch_protect() and sys_arch_unprotect() is always called in
> pairs with call order maintained.

So the requirement stated in the documentation that

  SYS_ARCH_UNPROTECT Perform a "fast" set of the protection level to "lev".

is incorrect and the parameter passed to sys_arch_unprotect() may be
ignored.

> From rtos prospective, you can consider sys_arch_protect() as
> enter_critical_section() and sys_arch_unprotect() as
> exit_critical_section().

That's only true if enter_critical_section() and
exit_critical_section() enforce nesting/paired calls.

> These calls might already be provided by rtos you're using.

They are, but they do not nest. In the uItron RTOS I'm using the "exit
critical section" function re-enables context switching no matter how
many times "enter critical section" has been called. I'm working on a
nesting equivalent.

Thanks much for the clarification.

Once I'm satisfied I understand the real requirements, I'll submit a
patch for the documentation. Hopefully that will avoid in the future
the problems created when the original authors of my sys_arch.c code
interpreted the existing documentation literally.

--
Grant