lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx foreign commands on VMS

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx foreign commands on VMS
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 10:14:05 -0500 (EST)

Jamie Hendricks <address@hidden> wrote to me
                                                  instead of lynx-dev:
>I am trying to run lynx from my VAX 6.2 account here at Eastern Connnecticut
>State University.
>
>I would like to insert a command line in my login.com so that all I have to do
>is type something like  "vaxhelp" and it will jump to Eastern's homepage for
>vax help.
>
>I have inserted the following command in my login.com but it does not work
>
>$  vaxhelp :== lynx "http://www.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/help";
>
>Could you help me?

        You need to specify translation of your lynx foreign command
within the vaxhelp foreign command:

$ vaxhelp :== 'lynx' "http://www.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/help";

        Alternatively you can specify the path to the lynx image, e.g.:

$ vaxhelp :== Lynx_Dir:lynx "http://www.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/help";

        We use  lyh*elp  for that command name, so that the users need
enter only  lyh  as the command.  "ly" is a good prefix on VMS because
there are no native commands which begin with those two letters, so you
can include the asterisk in lynx-based services to keep the minimum
string requirements short.

        Please use the address@hidden list for questions and discussion
about Lynx.  You need not be subscribed to post messages, and you can read
replies via the archive.  See the Lynx online 'h'elp for more information
about the list and archive.  I am CCing this reply to the list.

                                Fote