lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV relative links with file:/

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV relative links with file:/
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:02:55 -0500 (EST)

>With Lynx 2.5 running on a VAX with VMS 5.5 I have a problem:  When I
>access a URL via file:/ instead of http:// it works, but I can't select
>a relative link without getting an error telling me the document cannot
>be accessed.
>[...]
>file:/[st2f304.www.helbig]helbig.html shows up as
       ^       ^   ^      ^
>file://localhost/[st2f304.www.helbig]helbig.html
                  ^       ^   ^      ^
>which might be part of the problem.  Adding the disk name makes no
>difference.

        The paths in URLs are a hierarchy of slash-separated symbolic
elements, not platform-specific file system specifications.  You would
be wise to upgrade to Lynx v2.6 plus the common replacement files
accessible via the "Lynx Enhanced Pages".  In the meantime, use the
link in that at NYU to access the v2.6 "Lynx Users Guide" and read
the "Supported URLs" sections concerning file URLs, and the RFCs
explaining URL syntax.

        For VMS, you want file://localhost/device/directory/subdirectory/file
or various components of that (very similar to SHELL syntax), but do read
the additional information and RFCs in the "Supported URLs" section.

        You also can use VMS file system logicals as URL symbolic elements,
e.g.:

        file://localhost/sys$common/syshlp/

                                Fote