lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV DOS, DOS and Windows

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DOS, DOS and Windows
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:59:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> Well...if you say so.  I know that Wolverine's ftp for WFWg runs in
> console mode, but I read that a normal win32 application for win3.x
> couldn't be compiled for console mode.  I personally wouldn't want to
> create a GUI version of Lynx--I really, really like the ability of making
> a win95 DOS box full screen to run plain text tcp apps (and don't forget
> the users of dos text reader programs!).  Comparable GUI fonts are FAR
> slower to refresh the screen and that makes the whole thing pointless for
> me. Also, there isn't a 32 bit dial-up stack for win3.x.

Ok, I'm not sure about console mode apps...  Win32s 1.30 includes a
WSOCK32.DLL, so more 32-bit applications will run.  I imagine all it does
is convert the 32-bit WinSock access down to things that the 16-bit
version can handle.  I don't know very much about Win programming, but am
just going on what I've been told.  I DO think that it would be a good
idea to aim for a Win 3.1 compatible version so that it will run on more
platforms.  There are still a LOT of 3.1 installations out there, even
though MS would prefer you tto believe that 3.1 is dead. :)