lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Ugly page.

From: Carl Reimann
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Ugly page.
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 11:34:05 GMT

 There was a short period when I used frames. I didn't even say
 "Here is the non-framed version". I had what I consider to be
 the class and sense to simply display the exact same data between
 the <noframes> tags that was available to browsers reading frames.
 People accessing my site were not presented with 'facts' and
 'observations' about their browser. They were presented with the
 information they had come to find. I think, as Hiram might agree,
 that the tendency to project 'information' about the visiting
 browser is perhaps a sign of a tasteless fascination with the
 act of having a web page, rather than a sign of dedication to
 the information one is providing.

 At any rate that's how I see it. But, as doodadism (not unlike
 dadaism!) accelerates, we will see more and more about how our
 browser is 'challenged'. I was talking to another webmaster
 this week, who actually thinks frames are a benefit to navigation.
 Yet on his own site he feels it necessary to dedicate an entire
 three screens to information about how to navigate his frames,
 how different browsers respond to frames, and of course, he also
 offers the obligatory "This is the Non-Frames Page. Get A New
 Browser. Old Browsers Won't Work Here" page. When I used frames
 for a short time, visitors didn't have to think diddly squat
 about their browser. Not squat!

        Carl

 Fri, 25 Oct 1996 21:43:52 -0500 (CDT),
        "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden>:

 > [ ... ] On frames, though, I hate Netscape's frame example.  In the
 > NOFRAMES section, they put something to the effect of "You are using
 > a frames challenged browser..." rather than something useful like
 > "Here is our non frame version." with an appropriate link. [ ... ]

;
;