lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx enhancing pages...

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx enhancing pages...
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 21:45:10 -0500 (EST)

Subir Grewal <address@hidden> wrote:
>I'm CC'ing this to Lynx-Dev since they may have something to say on this.
>I don't have the answers to these two questions, perhaps somebody else
>does.  I'm quite sure that for TEXTAREA Lynx limits you to the number of
>rows specified in the markup, this has come up before and I believe Lynx's
>behaviour conforms to the specs.  Movement within textarea has been a
>problem for a while, there are control sequences for movement, but they
>don't seem to work for me while I'm in textarea.
>
>On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Mike Vavrus wrote:
>
>:Hi!
>:
>:I am developing for and supporting web applications which are used by
>:both text browsers (mostly lynx) and graphical browsers.
>:
>:The problem is that I have been trying to figure out a way to get
>:around having, say, my ROWS set to 100, just because lynx doesn't allow
>:scrolling like Mosaic or Netscape.
>:
>:As is, if I make ROWS=100, I get 100 rows in the graphical browsers,
>:which is unnecessary.  Also, I didn't think there is a limit to the
>:number of rows able to enter into a TEXTAREA, although in lynx it
>:is true that you are exactly limited to the number of rows specified.
>:[...]

        Lynx supports only horizontal scrolling within each line
of the TEXTAREA.  It is not using a real window as a GUI would,
and thus cannot scroll vertically for a TEXTAREA.  The horizontal
scrolling is a built in feature of the standard line editor, which
is being user for statusline prompts, INPUTs, each line of a
TEXTAREA, and 'o'ption menus strings.

                                Fote