lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 18:06:19 -0800

Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       But to answer the original question, generically, the
> multibookmark patch is *not* it the same category as the patch
> for making the current document's URL in the showinfo display
> a forward link, with all the complications and overhead that
> invokes, when all it ultimately achieves can already be done,
> cleanly, simply by pressing any of the PREV_DOC command synonyms
> (e.g., left-arrow).

May we please agree to disagree.  I find it frustrating to have links
displayed on a page, but not active (as on the Information Page).  On
the flip side I find it convenient to have a page which represents the
current page and current link in multiple forms: as linkname, URL, and
also active link.  The history page does not provide this because it
represents links as "LYNXHIST:%d", and doesn't include the current link.
The current page itself doesn't provide this because it doesn't give the
URL of the current page, only of the current link (and then only in
"advanced" user mode).

I've modified my local version of that patch to correctly handle quotes
in URLs.  But I won't submit it any more.

Note that I haven't been pushing the idea of not requiring a lynx.cfg; I
suggested that once and accepted your argument against the idea.

I tried to apologize for the botched distribution of 2.5FM-series
binaries through SCO.  It was my doing, I screwed it up, I tried and
partially succeeded at correcting it.  Partially, in that the versions
on the shipped CD-ROM identify themselves as:

  Lynx Version 2.5FM (SCO 07-19-96)

which I think is reasonable.  But, unfortunately, older versions are
still present on SCO's web site which do not include the "SCO" marking.
I can't control what's on the web site; I've tried several times to get
them to update it to the later "SCO"-marked version, but they don't do
it.

I'll probably be issuing a 2.6 update set at some point; maybe they will
be willing to replace the old stuff then.  Whatever I issue will be
clearly tagged, if it isn't precisely some "release version".

>Bela<
;
;