lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re development vs. programming

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re development vs. programming
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 13:15:41 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Drazen Kacar) wrote:
>Binaries for Solaris, ULTRIX and OSF will probably be available from srce.hr
>domain. I don't know if it's my job or not, but it falls under someone's
>job description here and it will be done. I don't know how soon. The amount
>of job is enormous and there is general shortage of people. I just took the
>development of usable search service and it's a big problem if you're
>doing it for the non Latin 1 world. The web just doesn't work. Lynx is a
>shiny example because it can send Accept-language & Accept-charset headers.
>This probably sounds esotheric, but it means that Lynx is the only browser
>that can be supported in a way that everything works and all users has to know
>is how to set terminal type.
>
>Some other browsers can send those headers as well, but they are not being
>used. They don't support the latest blink-like things, I suppose.

        Note that, probably in conjunction with Ari Luotonen's development
of the Netscape server, the Netscape browser does handle those headers, and
is reasonably conformant with the IETF RFCs in matters relating to charset
handling.  The CERN server (for which Ari was the lead developer before
going to Netscape in 1994), Apache server, and probably by now most http
servers, support the language-related specs as well.  The more serious
problem is that so many of the non-Latin-1 information providers don't set
up their server's properly (with you, of course, among the refreshing
exceptions 8-).

                                Fote