lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:58:43 -0500 (EST)

> QUESTION: "TRN" turns each thread, somehow, into a branching
> tree.  On what basis does it decide on starting a new
> branch (sub-thread).  Is it just the subject line?

        I'm writing a Hypermail-like tool (Pipermail), and have had to
implement threading.  Most mailers and newsreaders include an
the message being replied to.  If that isn't present, one can next
look at the References: line, which lists the preceding articles in
the thread.  If neither "In-Reply-To" or "References" are there, the
archiver just has to guess and look for an earlier article with the
same subject.

        I don't believe structuring our e-mails is any solution; the
time would be better spend actually maintaing a FAQ, improving the
archive, or improving the tools used to search the archive.

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden

;
;