lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV The "Thanks for Lynx" page

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV The "Thanks for Lynx" page
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 20:43:45 -0700

Al Gilman <address@hidden> writes:
(refering to my "Thanks for Lynx" page at http://www.slcc.edu/lynx-book.html)

>Well, thank _you_, Scott for organizing that.  I think it was a good
>move.  I glanced through it once and I agree we want to keep a link
>to it floating somewhere near the top of any "Why Lynx?" page anybody
>puts up.

I did it out of a sincere wish to thank Fote and others. It is since then
that I noticed the value of the other messages of thanks posted there. I
have not yet found myself able to contribute to the Lynx code, so if I can
contribute in some small way like this, I am more than happy to do so.

>In fact, if we don't get an intelligent archive set up so we can
>register successfully compiled Lynx versions by email, we might want
>to start asking people to register by signing a guestbook.

I would be more than happy to set up a simple HTML page and perl script for
registering Lynx builds in a file like this uses. (I should mention that the
lynx-book page is done with Jamie McCarthy's Nizkor Guest book code). What I
can't do right now is offer to host it at our site. We are woefully short of
disk space. My Lynx-it page and my lynx help files are justified in providing
quality HTML authoring help to our information providors. I can get away with
the "Thanks for Lynx" page because I keep a low profile on it, and can pass it
off as a hobby.

If someone will provide a site to archive things at, I will be happy to
provide a lynx build registration utility.

>We would do well to have a standard way to maintain the host variants
>list by getting people to log "all" successful compiles in a way that
>is less disruptive than a lynx-dev broadcast.

I think it would largely need to be a fill-in form, rather than the lynx-book
free form style. I'd like some feedback on what should be on the form.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,