lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Obtaining LYNX

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Obtaining LYNX
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:08:02 -0500 (EST)

  From: Anita Gardner <address@hidden>

  I am a Homebound Teacher for Houston ISD.  I just got connected to the
  Texas Education Network (TENET).  It states that TENET offers a
  text-based web browser named LYNX.  How do I get a copy of LYNX.  I am
  currently using Netscape.

Anita,

You can use Netscape in lieu of Lynx.  Netscape and Lynx use
the same standard protocols and formats to talk to the TENET
servers.  Netscape is a workable substitute for Lynx.  To care
enough to take the trouble to convert, you pretty much have to
be a heavy user of World Wide Web services for whom the slowness
of Netscape navigation is a significant problem.

If you find you are using TENET or WWW resources a lot, you can
proceed with all deliberate speed to learn how to use Lynx to do
it faster.

In all likelihood, the best way for you to use Lynx is to
establish a terminal session with your account on TENET.  You can
do this via a Telnet application running over the same network
connection your Netscape uses, or using a modem program such as
PROCOMM.  You will then run Lynx remotely on the TENET computer,
not on yours.

Sniff around and see if TENET has any "Connecting to TENET" user
guide literature hanging around their home site.

Al Gilman

;
;