lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Long lines in HTML source, images without ALT

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Long lines in HTML source, images without ALT
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:39:23 -0800

> From address@hidden Sat Nov 16 10:29:06 1996
> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 19:09:49 +0100 (MET)
> From: Hynek Med <address@hidden>
>
> This is probably an old thing.. When viewing HTML source, lines longer
> than display width aren't seen. Can there be done something about it?

1: When I download big report from SEC's EDGAR system, some of the
   financial reports are WIDE.  I have learned to download the
   \-source instead -- there's not too much html-command stuff in
   it, and at least I get the wide stuff "as is" -- which I can
   then display on my local computer, wide (eg full screen on
   20-inch sun console).

2: As I recall from grabbing it "rendered" (ie without the "\"),
   it didn't TRUNCATE the lines, it just "wrapped" them onto
   the next line, by inserting a newline at column 80 or so,
   and then I'd have to tedioiusly get rid of those of the
   newlines I didn't want, so the lines got wide again.

3: yeah, it would be nice if there were a way (and maybe there
   already is in lynx) to tell it to render the html "wide" --
   ESPECIALLY for "verbatim" stuff, like program-examples,
   financial reports with wide lines, etc.

4: I SUPPOSE one COULD download the \-source, then munge it
   with some kind of a filter-program, and THEN run it
   through lynx to render ("compile?", what vocab word to use?)
   wide, as DICTATED by the munged .html-file....

;
;