lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ collection

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ collection
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:12:00 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
>I have seen the discussion of FAQ's for Lynx, and have decided to at least take
>a look at what's been done and being done. If anyone is now working on an FAQ
>for Lynx, please let me know, and also tell me what I might do to help. If not,
>please, anyone who can, send me locations of any FAQ appropriate material so
>that I can assess the job of building a real FAQ.

        Although a lot of the information is in the online 'h'elp, the
"self documentation" in userdefs.h, lynx.cfg, mime.type, mailcap, and/or
the INSTALLATION, PROBLEMS, and FOO.announce files, and simply not being
read, there are a number of questions which chonically occur, and always
will.  For example, the questions related to setting up the 'p'rint and
'd'ownload menus are in this category.  A "standard" FAQ, structured with
a Q: the way people typically ask how to deal with zmodem's (sz's) inability
to take an output file argument directly, followed by an A: explaining
that a script could rename it before calling sz, then rename it back
to the temporary file name (so it can be reused with other entries in
the menu), would be helpful.  The A: in that case could include example
scripts for Unix and VMS.

        There's nothing you can do about the people who settle into
chornic newbieness and clutter this list with questions which, by this
point, they should be answering themselves.  There's no reason to
expect that they'll read the FAQ carefully any more than the online
'h'elp and doc files, but a well-structured FAQ still would be helpful
to the people who are earnestly making an effort to apply personal
initiative in acquiring the knowledge.

                                Fote