lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV developing cache for lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV developing cache for lynx
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:37:28 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Harendra Kumar wrote:

> hi!
>       here we are trying to develop such a cache for lynx that every
> person using lynx browser can access it.We are having source code of
> lynx 2.6 version .The O.S. we are using is Linux.The cache is intended to be
> formed such that when a person sends a request to any site the file is first
> searched in the local common cache if it is not there then only the
> browser will download it.
>       presently the browser supports separate cache for every person
> using it.

Lynx currently only has a *memory* cache, and it keeps some documents
in memory only in an alread-parsed form.  It seems what you want is
a persistent disk cache.

Such cache programs already exist.  They operate as a HTTP proxy server
(or gateway).

>       My queries are
> 1.    Is such or similar feature already there in lynx? If yes
>       then how to use it.

Lynx supports proxies (like every browser that I know of).
Once you have a caching proxy installed and configured, all that remains
to do is configure Lynx to use it, see lynx.cfg.

> 2.    How should I start?From where to start?How can I implement this
>       feature?

I would start with the CERN httpd server.  Documentation and the program
itself are available from www.w3.org.  Installing it (and, in the prcess,
reading the documentation) should answer your questions.

I am sure there are also other freely available proxy caches yhat you
could use.  (Squid?)

    Klaus

Btw, I am running a CERN httpd proxy on linux.  It works.

> 3.    Is there some documentation available for lynx such as which
>         function  does what?I have studied WWW Implementation library of
>         the source code.
> 4.    suggest me some books which can help me.

;
;