lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Gimmie a Cookie

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Gimmie a Cookie
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:52:44 -0500 (EST)

> Further reading of the cookie spec gives me a bit of a bad taste.  If I
> read it right, a browser that wants to say they implement cookies must be
> prepared to parse though a file up to 300x4k before each connection to a

        I don't think you need to parse through the file on every
access?  Cookies are only handed out to a server if the hostname meets
the right conditions, so this reparsing need only be done when the
hostname changes; as long as the hostname is the same, Lynx can keep a
working set of cookies for that server.

        Another complexity is that the cookie file has to be locked;
consider a user running two copies of Lynx, and Lynx 1 is writing
the file when Lynx 2 tries to read it.  Is there a way to do this
that's portable to VMS, Unix, and eventually Windows?

        One could just read the whole cookie file into memory when
Lynx starts up and write it out on exit, but that 300x4k figure rules
that out, except for single-user systems.  Perhaps the size of the
cookie jar should be configurable; 5x4k is a more reasonable figure.

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
                http://www.magnet.com/~amk/
;