lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Zmodem in Lynx?

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Zmodem in Lynx?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:00:41 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Al Gilman wrote:

> Roger, some people seem to think Zmodem is quicker.  I don't know, I
> use Kermit.

Z-modem is indeed quicker than the old original kermit and supports better
error-detection and error recovery that the original kermit doesn't.  The
new Super Kermit supported by MS-Kermit and C-Kermit could probably give
it a run for its money and does support better error detection (I think
z-modem uses a 32-bit CRC or can be set to use a 16-bit instead.
MS-Kermit uses at max a 3-byte Checksum (CRC?)) and a form of error
recovery for aborted files.  With its larger packet sizes, Columbia
University claims it can be faster than Z-modem under some conditions... I
use both depending on what I'm using...  When I dial in from DOS with
MS-Kermit, I use kermit (although I have z-modem set up inside MS-Kermit)
due to the APC interface and that I can type one command on the unix side
and automatically have it set up the transfer for me.