lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV HTEditable in ./WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HTEditable in ./WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 20:25:15 -0500 (EST)

root <address@hidden> wrote:
>While looking around at stuff I noticed HTEditable said in its comments:
>bugs: "2. Isn't there a faster way?"  Well, wouldn't using
>access(filename,W_OK) be all you need (access is defined in unistid.h, and
>claims on its manpage to be SVID, AT&T, POSTIX, X/OPEN, and BSD 4.3
>compliant (would this work on VMSes?))

        We used to use access() in the wwwlib and LYfoo modules, but
replaced it throughout, because what it actually does varies considerably
across platforms/flavors, and too often it was rejecting things that
should have been accepted, and are now.  That comment is a leftover
from the original v2.14 wwwlib, with only "sentimental value". :) :)

                                Fote