lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 release.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 release.
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:32:19 -0800

> From address@hidden Wed Jan 29 07:46:38 1997
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:05:44 -0500 (EST)

<snip>
> This is yet another reason why, IMHO, Lynx should never support
> the possibility of it's users accepting and sending cookies unaware
> that this is happening.

So, what do you say in the manual?  That you are a fool if you
ever say Y?  That you are a fool if you say N?  That there
is no guidance that can be given, AT ALL -- best is to just
flip a coin each time you are asked?

SOME kind of explanation, if not advice, is needed in the docs.

eg "What I myself do is ..., but a friend does ..., because
he/she worries about ...".

Also, would it (advice) be different between someone running
SLIP on a PC and someone using an ISP (where it isn't HIS OWN
computer that could get compromised).

Also, does operating system have any effect on what to do,
eg windows (or ms/dos!) vs win95 vs NT vs unix.

Or even (as Fote hinted) the application that runs ON the
computer, eg banking.

And, what is the worst thing that CAN happen?  Virus insertion?
(unix vs wintel)?

I imagine a novice (or non-novice too) needs help on these
questions.

;
;