lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 release.

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 release.
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:47:44 -0500 (EST)

Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden> wrote:
>Al Gilman wrote:
>
>> I would like to see the H)elp files distributed with 2.7 re-formatted a
>> little to make them more speech-friendly.
>
>I think that task should be taken by someone directly involved with
>speech-friendliness. He/she/them would get the Lynx help files and make them
>speech-friendly. Then he/she/them would submit it to Foteos or you or
>someone else involved with Lynx to check them for any Lynx- or
>visual-unfriendliness.
>
>>      - 1: make a policy commitment to keep the Lynx H)elp files as
>>      speech-friendly as we reasonably can
>
>That "policy commitment" reminds me of another "PC", "politically correct",
>and that annoys me very much. Are Lynx help files _really_
>speech-unfriendly? I don't remember having seen people here complaining
>about that.
>
>>      - 2: use the criteria for a speech-friendly ribbon <URL:
>>      http://www2.cdepot.net/~mist/ribbon.htm> as our measure of speech
>>      accessibility (and ask them for a review).
>
>Since those people are who would be more interested in the Lynx help files
>being speech-friendly (if they are not...) they could take the task and ask
>us for a review.

        I had made the FM help file set net accessible *primarily* with
Al in mind.  I see that Scott has further expanded the access to them
via http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/   Have you even looked at them yet,
Al?  Have you?!?!?

        The implication that Lynx development during the past three years
has not had a "policy commitment" to helping meet needs of the blind is
preposterous.  There's no other word for it -- preposterous!!

        Burnout, sigh...  I need more than a vacation!  I need to
NOT_DEFINE myself to an INN.  :) :) :) ;(

                                Fote