lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV 'bad html'

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV 'bad html'
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 07:16:57 -0500 (EST)

I tried one last thing on this qvc page that I'd like feedback on.
(I would like to send mail to their webmaster about the bad html
and anything else I pertinent.)

I went through the same process as before until I got to the page

>                             [INLINE] [1][ISMAP]
>
>    We don't recognize your Internet browser, which means it may not allow
>           a secured transaction. If you prefer, you can call us at
>                [2]1-800-367-9444 or do one of the following:
>
>      * [3]I'd like to place my order online, without encryption.
>      * [4]I think my browser supports encryption, and I'd like to place
>        my order online.
>
>                        [ [5]QVC Home | [6]iQVC Shop ]
>
>      All contents copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997. QVC, Inc. All rights
>                                  reserved.

This time I selected [4] instead of [3] to see if it could handle encryption.
On the status bar I got something like
        "Alert! this client does not contain support for HTTPS URLs"
The currently selected link was

>                      You have reached the Information Page
> Link that you currently have selected
>
>    Linkname: I think my browser supports encryption, and I'd like to
>           place
>    Filename: https://www.qvc.com/shopping/pin.pl/610033065200010QVC

If the cookie jar is important, it contained:

>                    You have reached the Lynx Cookie Jar Page
>
> Lynx Version 2.6FM
>
>      NOTE: Activate links to gobble up cookies or entire domains, or to
>      change a domain's 'allow' setting.
>
>    [1]Domain=www.qvc.com (Cookies allowed via prompt.)
>           [2]IQVC_ID=000033065200010QVC
>           Path=/
>           Port: 80 Secure: NO
>           Maximum Gobble Date: (End of session.)
>           [3]IQVC=OK
>           Path=/
>           Port: 80 Secure: NO
>           Maximum Gobble Date: Fri Dec 31 18:59:59 1999
>
> References
>
>    1. LYNXCOOKIE://www.qvc.com/
>    2. LYNXCOOKIE://www.qvc.com/daff0
>    3. LYNXCOOKIE://www.qvc.com/d9898

So I was able to complete an order without encryption but not with encryption.
IS THIS EXPECTED BEHAVIOR? (i.e., bug or a feature? whose bug?)

Again, if anyone wants to try Netscape on this file, you can access both
the original (bad html) version and the edited version at
        http://www.voicenet.com/~leaves/
Comments welcome.
(I want to know what I'm talking about before I send them mail.)
--le
;
;