lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Having LYNX try to run XV and still be FREE (gnu-FREE)?

From: David Combs
Subject: LYNX-DEV Having LYNX try to run XV and still be FREE (gnu-FREE)?
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 03:52:52 -0800

We on lynx-dev mailing list would like the upcoming version
of lynx www-surfer to be distrubuted also on the gnu "source cd".

Richard Stallman (free software foundation) is concerned that
because lynx will try to run xv (assuming the user has the package)
when he, the lynx-user, tries to explicitly view a picture on
the net (or something...)

Richard's potential problem is that xv is not "free", really.  Or is it?

I note that you now supply the manual, free for the taking, off the net.

You even say to please put xv up on more ftp sites ("just tell me, though").

XV is in grey area between free and commercial?  Or merely off-white a bit?

Or truly FREE?

Please reply to these places:
   address@hidden
and address@hidden